SQL Server Engineer
|Job Title:||SQL Server Engineer|
|Location:||Greater Manchester, England|
|Salary:||BUPA, Pension, Incentives|
|Contact Name:||Beth Francis|
|Job Published:||January 23, 2019 17:44|
Oliver James Associates is an award-winning Recruitment Agency who has won multiple awards including a place on the Sunday Times Top 100 Best Companies to Work For and Global Recruiter 2016.
Established in 2002, Oliver James Associates is a global specialist recruitment partner to the Financial Services, Professional Services, Commerce & Industry sectors. We have grown organically and consistently over the past 15 years to become a renowned search & selection organisation, with a current headcount of over 290 employees operating out of 10 offices in London, Manchester, Dublin, Amsterdam, Milan, Frankfurt, Zurich, New York, Hong Kong and Singapore. 2017 was an exciting year, with 103 promotions and 118 new hires and our turnover increased to £85 Million.
We are currently seeking SQL Server Engineers / DBAs at Junior, Mid and Senior Levels to work from our Manchester head office.
About the Role…
This is an exciting opportunity for a SQL Server Engineer / DBA with strong database administration and engineering skills to join a team that are responsible for the day to day support and administration of the full SQL Server technology stack including engineering and all SQL Server database related projects. The role involves working closely with other Infrastructure teams as well as developers and end users.
You will have a can-do attitude, excellent communication skills and a desire for continuous improvement which you'll be able to evident.
Core Responsibilities of the Role…
- Availability, recoverability and performance for all data applications within the estate.
- Monitoring of all data applications and data integrations with proactive / automated maintenance.
- Server and database security of all data application.
- Understanding of performant and secure code and the change control process.
- Hardware and software upgrades, patching and licensing.
- Configuration of Live, Development and QA Environments.
- Capacity management and costings.
- Deployment pipelines.
Experience and Knowledge…
- SQL Server development environment and associated tools (e.g. Management Studio, SQL Profiler, Performance Monitor).
- Exposure to SQL 2016 & Azure SQL would be beneficial.
- T-SQL programming and troubleshooting, query performance optimisation/tuning, primary and foreign keys, indexes, views, stored procedures, functions.
- Understanding of database schema design and concepts, security and user management, partitioning and compression.
- Design, build and operation of ETL packages using Integration Services (SSIS)
- Experience processing large data sets.
- Documentation of processes.
- Understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and Quality Processes.
- Strong problem-solving capability.
- Experience in working in an agile environment, using methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban beneficial
- Experience in agile development practices such as Test/Behaviour Driven Development, Pair Programming and Continuous Delivery also beneficial.
- SQL Server 2016, 2012, 2008.
- Experience of Cloud, AWS or Azure and migration to cloud.
- Demonstrable production skills in monitoring, backup/recovery, always-on, patching.
- Performance Tuning: monitor, SQL Profiler, DMVs, Resource Governor.
- Availability Groups, Clustering, Replication, Database Mirroring.
- ITIL: experience working with incidents, service requests, changes, problems.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Excellent Social Calendar - Group Summer and Xmas Parties; Friday drinks every week; Frequent team nights out and events.
- Health & Wellbeing Initiatives - Extended lunch breaks for gym-goers; Fresh Fruit delivered daily.
- Private Healthcare Insurance, provided by BUPA.
- Generous holiday entitlement - including Christmas shut-down not requiring annual leave.
- Other benefits - including Cycle-to-work scheme, Childcare Vouchers.
- Pension Contribution which is matched up to 4.5%.
What we offer…
At Oliver James Associates, our people are our strength. They provide our competitive edge - and are key to securing and maintaining all our partnerships. We provide an inclusive work environment, where our current leaders and leaders of tomorrow understand that a team is made of individuals with unique strengths, committed to achieving one collective vision. This journey is supported by our investment in a range of innovative tools, and the creation of an agile working environment. Both ensure a fun, forward-thinking space where we can all deliver with excellence.
We ensure our values are demonstrated in all our activities, and we reward our employees with progression where these values are evident and applied. We are also passionate about supporting our clients and candidates, challenging ourselves to continuously improve for the good of every connection we make.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's